Wednesday, August 18, 2010
Now THAT'S Macaroni and Cheese
Ah yes...the staple of childhood...Macaroni and Cheese. I grew up on the Kraft Variety and although I still crave that processed cheese goodness, by body has developed some sort of allergy to one of the ingredients in it. (perhaps the sodium thipolphosphate or yellow 5, yellow 6 additives? Who knows.)
Anyways, I have been experimenting...As I cook Jackson's Kraft Macaroni, I have come up with a recipe for a killer cheese sauce- pretty natural and oh so good for grownups. So, mom's out there...give it a try-
One pack of Kraft Macaroni & Cheese (1/2 the noodles to the kids; 1/2 to you!)
2 cups of Grated Sharp Cheddar Cheese (I really love Tillamuk...although pricier, it's yummy)
3/4 cup of whole milk (you could probably use 2% if that's all you have.)
1 Tbls. of Corn Starch
1 T. of Chopped Dried Onion
2 Tbls. of Parmesan Cheese (Yes the shaker type)
1 T. of Pepper
1 T. of Dry Mustard
Chopped Chives if you have them for a little bit of color.
While boiling noodles for your kids:
1. Warm milk in a pan- add all cheese- grated.- Cook at low/medium until melted. Watch this close and stir regularly. Add Parmesan Cheese & Dried Onion.
2. Add 1 Tbls of Corn Starch to some water and stir...Turn up heat on cheese and add Corn Starch+Water slowly as it thickens. Do not heat too much. And once thick, turn heat to low.
3. Add Pepper and Dry Mustard and Chives.
4. After you drain the noodles, add the amount of butter/margarine that you would to the whole batch (but not the milk). Let butter melt on noodles. Then divvy out 1/2 of the noodles for you and 1/2 for the kids.
5. For the kids- Add 1/2 milk and 1/2 cheese powder that you normally would and serve.
6. For you- stir your desired amount of cheese sauce over your noodles!
Everyone is so happy!
Let me know what you think!