"I know what I know / Could not fill a thimble."

Thursday, July 15, 2010

Love is an Orientation

Yes...I'm skipping my Bible Reading today...because I have been deep in His Word through reading this book- http://www.christianbook.com/love-orientation-elevating-conversation-with-community/andrew-marin/9780830836260/pd/836260?item_code=WW&netp_id=585403&event=ESRCN&view=details

I ordered this book because (especially after moving 20 minutes from San Francisco) the issue of how to approach the GLBT community has challenged me. I have been to a predominately GLBT restaurant and karaoke bar in the City and both times were actually very memorable and gave me pause. Why do I, as a Christian FEAR having relationship with GLBT people?
Well, primarily it's because I believe that promiscuous sex is not biblical and being a friend to people who think it's ok will somehow lead me, and those I love, astray.

But this book, for the first time, has given me a true understanding of what God's word says on this subject (or doesn't say) and why so many GLBT people are hostile toward the church. Gaining this perspective is going to greatly help me as I navigate through this world. Not only in the issue of dealing with the GLBT community...but also in dealing with anyone in my life, who I am fearful of approaching because they differ in their opinion of what is biblical.

I highly recommend this book for all Christians and non-Christians. It's time to get over our fears and start talking about why we have, for so long, hated the GLBT community through our jokes/ words/ and actions. Forgive us Lord for not truly loving YOUR children.

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE.

2 comments:

  1. i've totally heard about this book and am interested in it...
    i even wrote a blog post totally based on just a book review i read on the book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i've totally heard about this book and am interested in it...
    i even wrote a blog post totally based on just a book review i read on the book!

    ReplyDelete